Today I took the first step in becoming a Marathon runner. I bought some shoes. After much review, research, and inquiries to friends and family, I decided to purchase the Nike Lunarglide 2 running shoe.
I have a genetic proclivity to shin splints and soar feet, plus weighing 210 pounds doesn't really help either, so I wanted to make certain I wasn't wasting $110 on a new pair of shoes I would stop using after 3 days.
The guy at the store suggested I get some beefy shoe with a GOB of gel in the heel so that I could heel-strike to my little hearts content without damaging my feet. I tried that about 2 years ago and couldn't run more than 2 minutes without my shin knotting up.
This time I stuck to my guns and went with the lighter model shoe. The best thing about the running store I went to is that if after 20 miles of use (the amount of time it will take to break in) they still hurt my feet, I can bring them back in and switch to "gob-heel" shoe.
I'm not quite ready for the Nike Free 5.0, or the Vibram Five-Finger shoes quite yet, but this is a step in the right direction.

I just got the Nike Free Run+ shoes today actually. Excited to try them out for road running. I like my vibram five fingers for lots of other things, but I don't think I'll ever get used to wearing them on the road :)
ReplyDeleteNice! I'm about ready for some new running shoes, I've had the same running shoes for about 3 or 4 years now.
ReplyDeleteThe race is on the 23rd of April not the 16th. I think your mom might be here that weekend so she could even watch the kids while we ran.
ReplyDelete